My Quarter Life Crisis

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

What a Man Wants...

I went out for dinner with a friend and over some drinks we began to discuss what we want in life. He and I are in similar situations, we are about the same age, we aren't satisfied with our jobs and we both ended long-term relationships at the same time.

The conclusion that we both reached is that we would like a job that pays the bills, and by that I don't mean a job that pays six figures but something that allows us not to live from paycheque to paycheque, a family to share in our happiness, but most of all we want to fall in love with a woman who loves us as much as we love them. A woman who won't take us for granted and who is there for us in our times of need just as we would be there for them.

For me I think that finding the love of my life is the key to the puzzle. I, thankfully, already have a great family who love me very much and the job will hopefully come in time.

I had another conversation this week with some other friends and was troubled to hear what their outlook on finding a soulmate was. They believed that in order to achieve maximum happiness you will have to marry the woman who loves you and not neccessarily the woman whom you love the most. I can't grasp this concept and they were being totally serious. Maybe my outlook is somewhat fairytale-ish but is it that farfetched? I would think that the woman I marry is the love of my life just as I am hers but the question remains ....Is that realistic? I should hope so, otherwise all hope is lost. Could this be the reason behind the high rates of divorce? That people don't marry those whom they truly love but do it because of fear of not finding anyone else who loves them?

What about the question of how do you know when you have found the person you were looking for? I thought I had but now I'm back on my search ...the thing is I'm not getting younger and it could take awhile to find out that two people are just not meant to be together.

Well bottom line is that I'm not going to be pesimistic and my search for the love my life goes on.

....
Song of the Post: "When You Really Love Someone" by Alicia Keys

3 Comments:

  • My two cents: You're being idealistic but don't let it go overboard. Not everyone finds their soulmate - but I found mine in the form of a good friend, not a partner in life. Divorce is not a result of not marrying your soulmate but the inability of a couple to work together to stay together. I see you're a bit of a romantic, good luck!

    By Blogger F, at 4:55 p.m.  

  • My three cents: "Marry yee who true loves you, not yee who you loves." Thats a direct quote from William Shakespeare himself whom I inteveriewed last week. Its funny I shared a similar opinion as your crazy friend, but that has changed. As I have decided that now I too want to love somebody and have them love me back with authority, because good ol Bill Shakespeare is dead now. Maybe I should open up one of these BLOGS, I didnt even know I could leave a comment. Anyhow, Take it easy buddy ol pal, dont let this stuff get to you.. Because I know an Uncle who needs to bring his daughter over to Canada and if worst comes to worst well not only can you make some quick cash but youll also have a soul mate who can cook some mean butter chicken.... signing off, Dr.Phil-jeet (you dont know me)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:13 a.m.  

  • Well i would like to comment to the most recent comment posted by a certain individual....Damn it...you should be studying for your exams and not posting comments..damn it SB...STUDY and get grades. It is the The wAy of th SIkhs

    By Blogger AV, at 1:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home