My Quarter Life Crisis

Monday, August 29, 2005

Fire Hydrant Syndrome

Well it seems my last entry was essentially fluff and lacked substance. I guess this is true. Hopefully, this post will satiate the demands of the masses.

I have entitled this post "Fire Hydrant Sydrome" to describe a phenomenon that I am all too familiar with.

I have a dog and when I let him out into the backyard he proceeds to mark his territory and essentially gets into a peeing contest with my neighbour's dog for who has ownership rights over the fence. I have come to notice that sometimes human males exhibit a similar behaviour minus the peeing. They do so when it comes to women. I think a recent LavaLife ad put it best with the caption "Stop dating your friends' ex girlfriends." You see I have gotten into numerous situations where I have stepped on other guys' toes when being attracted to certain women. In one case, it even caused the end of a friendship. More recently, the Fire Hydrant Syndrome has been present in a different sense. The sense that because a friend has a crush or likes a girl he essentially lays claim to this girl and everyone is left to wait for his move (which never happens) so as to not offend him. This is quite annoying. This is the main reason why I have talked about wanting to date people outside the group. At least this way if I am stepping on toes they don't belong to those whom I care about.

I've noticed my best friend is back into the groove of "picking up girls". It's good and actually funny to here him chatting up a girl because of how insightful he tries to be. No doubt I probably do the same thing but since I know him so well I can pick up the subtle differences in his conversation and it makes me laugh. Great job buddy.

So I think I want to take a Eurotrip next year and hit up the UK music festival scene with my buddy Jay and then hit up the rest of Europe after being joined by Ayland and Martino. This may be the final opportunity to take such a trip since I don't have a strong ties or responsiblities here now. I am single and my condo responsiblities don't come into play until 2007. It would be such a great experience. I haven't seen any part of Europe with the exception of Portugal and even that was as a child. The targeted places are the UK, Portugal, Spain, France, Rome, Amsterdam and back to the UK. Time to plan the logistics of this trip.

So back to the Fire Hydrant Syndrome...what's up with that? If it didn't work out then it wasn't ment to be and that doesn't mean it wasn't meant to be with one of your friends. It's time to let go. In the other case, if you like her make a freaking move already. Staring her down and dreaming about being together isn't going to make it happen so light a fire under your ass and get moving. Sheesh. That's all I have to say about that.

Song of the Post:
"Love Foolosophy" by Jamiroquai

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home