My Quarter Life Crisis

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

The Dawn of my Convalescence...

So I was at karate class this evening and I was sparring with a black belt. He caught my kick (I gotta work on that) and lifted my leg. The thing is he lifted too high so my planted foot gave out and my body went to the floor. I did a break fall and landed okay but the thing is he still had a hold of my leg and it twisted in mid air. Upon landing I felt some of the worst pain of my life. I sat up and grabbed my knee....OMFG my patella(kneecap) was on the side of my knee. I calmly told my sensei that I had dislocated my patella. The other sensei asked if I was sure ummmrm...judging by it being on the side of my leg....I'm pretty sure LOL! So all of a sudden I realize that the rest of the class is in shock and just staring so sensei dismisses everyone and I'm left with all these girls surrounding me with ice and making sure I'm okay. Bonus! So they stabilize my leg and we wait for the paramedics. My sensei sees them coming and says "I think your going to be in good hands." ....WOOOT was I ever! The lord graced me with the hottest paramedic I had ever seen! DOUBLE BONUS! Turns out she went to my university and was a former bartender and likes playing poker. Ok can we have anything else in common? All the paramedics treated me very well and I thank them all.

So I got to the hospital and of course had to wait for awhile and then was taken to xray and back to waiting for a doctor. After all this time in pain the doctor comes and looks at my knee and says "Oh the nurse could have reset this" He pops it back into place and with the exception of a sharp pain followed by a wave of sudden relief I felt nothing. So I spent 4 hrs in pain needlessly? Man I should have popped it back myself it was easy. Oh well quite the experience. I am now in a knee immobilizer and walk with crutches. I have to go for a follow up on Sunday so we'll see what the prognosis is.

I want to thank Sensei Drew and Sensei Sean for their concern. I would like to also thank Tracy and Sam for helping me be as comfortable as possible. Most of all I would like to thank Sharon for sticking with me and lugging my stuff and keeping company in the ER. You're the best!

Here are some pics...I must warn you its a little graphic!








Normal Kneecap Posted by Hello





Dislocated kneecap Posted by Hello



Song of the Post: "Pain" by Jimmy Eat World

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home