My Quarter Life Crisis

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

The First Insight and the Philosophy of Soren Kierkegaard.

Firstly, It's amazing how much a dislocated kneecap can increase the amount of traffic on your blog. LOL Thank you all for your concern or for your random interest in repugnant pictures of my anatomy. I appreciate it.

As if I didn't have enough reading to do with my course work, I decided to also start reading "The Celestine Prophecy" by James Redfield. For those of you that who haven't read it yet, the book is about a manuscript that is found in Peru that tells of a movement by humanity towards a completely spiritual culture through a series of nine insights that are experienced sequentially.

The first insight is a state of restlessness where we don't know what we are looking for out of life. This is definitely how I feel and encompasses the feeling of My Quarter Life Crisis. Soren Kierkegaard mentions something similar in his works. Kierkegaard discusses different forms of despair that people go through. A feeling of anxiety associated with the need to be a "self with something", meaning self with a nice house, self with a great wife, self with a great job, etc. The realization that we have to make is that this is a form of "floating anxiety" where once one of our desires is satiated the anxiety floats to another, hence, we suffer this sense of despair.

Despair can be categorized as passive and active. I won't go into the specifics but the key is that there are three stages to an individual's life, according to Kierkegaard, the aesthetic, the ethical, and the religious. Moving through these stages can only be achieved by experiencing active despair.

I feel that my commitment to exploring my spiritual side is progressing. I very well may be moving through Kierkegaard stages or through the insights mentioned in "The Celestine Prophecy". I discovered this organization through a friend's website called The Meeting House. Its moto is the church for those who aren't into church. I happened to browse the website and I am intrigued by the premise. I just may check it out.

The one thing I can't handle is the fact that all the things that I used to have in my daily life as stress relievers have gone away. Karate and hitting the gym were great ways to let off steam and with this knee injury I'm sitting on the bench. Time to find an alternative I'm open to suggestions.



My recovery seems to be progressing. My knee feels better although it is still very tender and bruised. I have to keep my knee immobilizer on for another two weeks at which point I will have another xray taken and may switch to a different brace, offer ing increased mobility. I'll keep everyone posted.

In the meantime I recommend that you read "The Celestine Prophecy" if you haven't already.


Song of the Post: "God of Wine" by Third Eye Blind

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home